Friday 7 February 2020

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS: Jordy Bellerive


It's been a while since we've been able to catch up with a Lethbridge Hurricanes alumni.

We've been working on getting in touch with a few over the last couple of weeks as many Canes This Week fans enjoyed our first "Where In The World Is" with Jamal Watson.

The first to get back to us was former captain Jordy Bellerive.

He turned a lot of heads when he first signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins and he has been adjusting to life in the American Hockey League this season, picking up eight goals and nine assists in 41 games for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.

We chatted with him after practice on Monday and here's the transcription of that conversation.

#1. Where in the world is Jordy Bellerive?

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania.


#2. You scored your first pro goal there. What was that like?

It was a special moment. I think it was in my eighth game or so, so it took me a couple of games to get it out of the way. But it was really exciting and a moment I’ll remember forever.


#3. Favourite memory in Lethbridge?

Oof. I always loved the Teddy Bear Toss games. I thought they were awesome. I think I was 17 when I scored the Teddy Bear Toss goal so that was a pretty cool moment for me.

#4. Best teammate you had while you were with the Hurricanes.

That is a tough one. I played with a lot of great guys. Geez, that is a very good question. You know, recently, I have my two good buddies on that team right now with Addy (Calen Addison) and Coz (Dylan Cozens). In the past, I’d have to call it a tie between the two guys we brought in last year. Hank (Nick Henry) and Lysh (Jake Leschyshyn) were two pretty great guys so I gotta go with them.

#5. Best meal made by your billet?

Wow. She made very good perogies and sausages so that was good.


#6. Favourite arena to play in while in the WHL?

I liked Portland. I liked playing there in the older building. It’s an open feeling, I don’t know. I think it’s because the seats are just so far back, it feels like you have so much time and space out there. It’s kind of a mental thing. And also, my great uncle (Roger Bellerive) played there for the Portland Buckaroos so I have some cool memories there.

#7. Weirdest pre-game ritual you’ve ever seen, be it in Lethbridge or anywhere else?

Some guys make themselves throw up, which is pretty weird. I played with a guy who had some very weird ones. A lot had to do with his Velcro, he couldn’t just put it on. He had to take it on and off like 25 times before he could put it on with every piece of equipment so you can imagine how long it took for him to get dressed.

#8. Many youngsters in Lethbridge were awestruck when meeting you. Who have you been starstruck by?

Hahaha! I definitely think an easy one is Sidney Crosby. That’s a really easy one. Him and (Kris) Letang were two of my favourite players growing up in each position. I think meeting both of those guys and spending time with those guys on the ice and the gym and whatnot was pretty cool.



#9. Favourite song to warm up to?

Honestly, I don’t really have a song. I’m not a big music guy when it comes to preparation and stuff for games so I honestly couldn’t answer that one.

#10. Who has had the biggest influence on your hockey career?

Oof. You know, I’d have to give it to a guy who was my coach in peewee. His name was Billy Copeland. He put together some pretty special spring hockey teams over the years and he’s someone I’m still in touch with almost monthly I’d say. Talking about hockey, on the ice and off the ice and he’s helped me out with the mental side of the game as well. I know every year there’s something he does for me so I gotta go with him. And of course, my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Honouring the Overagers

The abrupt end of the 2019-2020 Western Hockey League season was undoubtedly needed, given the ever-evolving situation around the world wit...